What is horror?

Wednesday, February 22, 2023

FINAL PLANNING

After stressing out about not having an idea, I finally came up with one, with my cousin's help. So after looking at comedy and drama prompts, we came up with one. But the idea didn't just come up in the top of our heads at first. So, I was reading some of these prompts from screencraft.org and after going through a bunch of them, the first one that thought was easy to do was one that said something along the lines of "Call random numbers for fun" and well I kind of had an idea of starting the film with two people calling random numbers and then, they accidentally call the wrong number and something happens. I though this would off been perfect, since I was thinking of using my cousin and my step-sister in which they could off been great since they are so funny together. But I knew I needed that plot in which would want to make the audience crave for more and for this story, I really didn't have that turning point in which a character faces a problem. But then I also thought that the idea was kind of basic do I decided not to stick with it.



So we were still looking at story prompts, and my cousin mentioned something about family dinner. At first I was like "eh, whatever" but then, I got an idea. So, I thought about how sometimes we have family reunions and the music is like super loud and how people gossip about family member and stuff which I mean I am guilty of this. And then you have a drunk Uncle that I don't even know if they remember what they did. And plus I grew up in a Hispanic household so each family reunion we have, the gossip gets better. So then, I think to myself, why not recreate something like this? And then I started to come up with a bunch ideas, which wasn't that hard since I've already experienced it and I have so many funny memories that I have while on those family reunions and I think it's an advantage that my family is just funny and they do stupid stuff all the time, which in my opinion, makes the process so much easier to plan and tell them what to say.

I was planning on starting the film by inviting family over because the main character is graduating from high school. I also think I want to be the main character but I still don't know yet but for now, pretend that I am. So I sit down with my family and they are just asking me regular questions, until we hear a knock on the door. I go get the door and it is that annoying aunt that nobody invited. In this case, that would be my cousin. So she's going to be super loud and walk in and sit with us and people are going to start whispering things like "why is she here" or "who invited her" and that's when the chaos starts. After this we don't know what to do yet but my cousin and I came up with some ideas. So one could be that that cousin tells everyone that I am supposedly pregnant but I think that's a really basic one, but I'll have it in mind. My idea was that the same cousin would do the same thing but when she comes in the house, she brings the main character a graduation gift, and the gift bag would say something like "boy or girl" and then it will be her saying she has to go to the bathroom really quick and all family members start to freak out. She then comes back and asks everyones what is going on, just to find out that that was the only gift bag she had so she used it. This are just ideas though, but I am still working on this concept.

Although I said this would be an easy thing to do with my family, since they have already done this before and they are familiar with it, there is one issue. All of my family members speak Spanish. Only my two cousins, my brother and my step-sister speak both. And yes, I knew this before deciding that I wanted to do this idea, but I think is the fact that they don't speak English what is going to make the film opening funny. They would have this funny Spanish accent and well in my opinion, it would make the film 10 times funnier. On the other hand, the hard part would be teaching them how to say a sentence in English and for them to not actually get the pronunciation right but to say the sentence in a way that the audience could understand what each one of them are saying. My mom and my Aunt I am pretty sure they could get it, but it's my Dad and my Uncle who I am worried about. And I want my dad to do funny stuff since he's basically a natural, but I don't know if it would work the same by him speaking English. But if it works out, this could turn out to be such a good film opening. 

For some inspiration and how I want my film opening to look like, here are the link to some videos that I think can help me during the planning process:

LeJuan James

Jesus Garcia 



No comments:

Post a Comment

CREATIVE CRITICAL REFLECTION

In one of the videos, it sounds like one of my family member is dying but I swear, my Aunt is okay. https://drive.google.com/file/d/15RVz-t4...